Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Feast

Ignoring the look from my father, I enter the garden.

"Hello,Father. Sorry I am late, lessons took a little longer than expected. Let us not linger here, you can yell at me later."

Walking past my parents, I continued through the garden towards the Great Hall. I could hear their footsteps on the ground behind me. I know my father was mad but I did not want to deal with it right now. I could not wait until the feast was over. My nights with Raea were one of the few things I looked forward to these days. The only bad thing is I would have to control my drinking during the meal, I did not want to go to her drunk. I stopped as I approached the door to the Great Hall, ceremony had to be followed which means we had to be announced before we entered the room. The Herald stood at the door waiting for us. Being the ruling family we should enter after everyone but our guests if honor, but we were late and the Leth family stood staring at us. I could feel my fathers eyes staring intently at me. I had caused this and I would feel his wrath later.

The Herald pushed me to the door and I could hear his booming voice behind me, "Prince Calton Sy'Shalra, Heir of The Blood." I walked into the Great Hall and saw the people amassed for the feast. Tonight was going to be a very long evening, i hoped Raea would stay awake and wait for me. I took my seat at the head table two seats left from the center. My mother would sit beside me, and then my father beside her. I could hear the Herald announcing them as they walked towards their seats. After they got to their places the Herald announced the Leth family. First came Tallor, then not to far behind him came his parents, Zendara and Trei. All eyes in the room fell on Zendara, she was wearing a sheer green silk gown that clung to her like it was another layer of skin. Her glossy black skin was a sharp contrast to the hunter green silk that matched her eyes, captivating every male in the Great Hall. She was like a vision that just stepped out of a dream. Even I found myself staring at her, trying to avert my gaze I thought of Raea and the time I would spend with her, but my eyes kept turning back towards Zendara. I retreated to my wine glass hoping Tallor hadn't seen me staring at her. When I put my glass down she was already seated and I would have to make a noticeable effort to look at her, so I just looked forward and listened to my father's greeting and blessing before the meal would be served. Once he finished up the servers began to bring out the food. A roasted Jocuri Hen was set in front of everyone at the High Table. All of the lesser nobles and peasants at the feast got plates of Pui. All of it was good food, but what we ate was a mark better than that of the rest.

Once the food was eaten and the tables cleared the lower tables were taken away and the court musicians began to play. I made my way over to Tallor in hopes of avoiding his mother. I did not think I could control myself in her presence her beauty was overpowering. Once i got to Tallor, I saw Zendara was not far away. Slowly I walk to Tallor and try to get his attention so we can walk somewhere else, but before I can pull him away his mother appears and hands me a glass of wine.
"I see you have no drink Calton, so I took the liberty of getting one for you."
I try not to stare at her while i take the glass from her hand, "Thank you Ratează Tri'Leth."
"No need to thank me, and call me Zendara there is no need to be formal here."
"Okay, Zendara, but still thank you, I appreciate the drink."
"So Calton, I hear you are progressing well in all your training, and have far surpassed everyone in your classes. Tallor does nothing but sing your praises."
"I would not say i have surpassed everyone, Tallor is doing quite well himself."
I was hoping Tallor would come pull me away but looking over at him he was talking to some lesser noble and hadn't even seen me. It was becoming ever more apparent that I would have to talk to her.
"Don't try to play humble with me, I know you have far exceeded every one's expectations. From what I hear, you may even surpass Regun."
"You flatter me too much, when it comes to knowledge and power, I will never ever pass Regun, though I pray that I will be a better King than he ended up being."
I had not noticed but I had emptied my wine, but before I could set my glass down Zendara had summoned a servant to refill it."
"Fear not, you will surpass Regun, and you will be a better ruler."
As she was speaking I could suddenly feel her hand on my shoulder. I needed to get away. Zendara, wine, and I could not lead to anything to good, I thought.
"Thank you for the vote of confidence, but any of that is still a very long way away. My father will be King for many years to come, and I am far from mastering our magic. Your praise, though it is nice to hear, is too much for me. I am but a servant to the King."
"Ha, you make me laugh, servant you are not." Her hand was now sliding around my back and I around waist. "Come dance with me Servant Prince, and we will see how much of a servant you really are."
Part of me wanted to posses this woman, but I could not let that take control. Raea would be waiting for me, and even if part of me wanted Zendara, the rest of me belonged to Raea Janne. Setting my glass down I followed her to the dance floor, all the while I kept Raea in my thoughts.
"I will dance with you, Ratează Tri'leth."
As I finished speaking I bowed to her and began took her in my arms and began the
Învârtita. It was a moderate tempo dance in which we both turned. and rested in cycles. The dance lasted a few moments and I was very happy to see my father come up to us as it ended.
"Calton, can you excuse me. I believe it is my turn to dance with this beautiful woman."
"Yes father, I must take my leave anyways. I believe this wine is starting to effect me."
"Make sure you say hello to Tallor before you go."
"I will head there right now, father. Enjoy your dance."
Walking away I looked for Tallor as the relief washed over. I found him over in the corner with my mother. I headed over in that direction not looking behind me.
"Tallor, how have you been this fine day."
"Calton, I have been doing fine, did I just see you dancing with my mother."
"Yeah, I was on my way to see you when she intercepted me and asked me for a dance."
"That's my mother for you, dancing with all the young men while my father socializes."
"I wouldn't go that far, but yeah. Anyways I just wanted to catch you before I headed off. I'm afraid I have had a little too much wine tonight and want to get to my room before I make any youthful mistakes."
"I completely understand Cal, I will see you tomorrow in class, make sure you get some sleep. You know how the Masters are if you are not a hundred percent."
"You don't need to remind me. Goodnight Mother, you may want to claim father back from Zendara before to long."
I could see here ears perk up at that.
"Thank you Cal for letting me know, now go get some sleep."
With a low bow to my mother and Tallor I walked out of the Great Hall and began the long walk to my room where Raea was waiting for me.


1 comment:

  1. I seem to be having font issues, sorry about that make sure you have your reading glasses.

    ReplyDelete